Hillsong United: All of the Above -I remember a few months back, jeez has it been a year now? Hillsong United United We Stand vs. Passion Everything Glorious. I was floored by the sound and pleased to find someone else forging ahead for music especially in the praise and worship forum. United We Stand was stupid great. I then went back and picked up Look To You. I was pleased. I noticed a similarity in the pattern the way the 2 CDs were laid out but I wasn’t completely put off by that. The pattern worked and the songs were incredible.
THIS CD HOWEVER IS DIFFERENT! On first pass, different was uncomfortable. Second pass, different was good. Third pass, different was stupid great!! Anyone saying praise and worship CDs can’t be recorded in the studio have another example of how wrong that statement again this year! This CD is nuts! The instrumentation is well thought out and creative. The lyrics are full and deep, at times probably lengthy though for churches accustomed to more traditional songs, but if you’re that type you’re probably not doing United, or ready my blog 🙂 I’ve got a vid review coming but an unexpected trip to Mississippi and back has delayed that so here’s a verbal play by play until then:
- Point of difference – The title track to me speaks volumes of a CD. We had the Intro on the last CD, Savlation is Here on the one before that, we have Point of Difference here. Its perfect! It doesn’t race out of the box but builds slowly changing up verses, choruses, tags, layers, it arcs beautifully into a full song!
- Break free – Here’s the crazy, cool funky guitar song! GET UP AND DANCE! I love this bridge!
- Desperate people – One of my most absolute favorites! The intro loop, the drum tracks, the vocals, the resolution, the whole bit! Its got that anthem feel to me. Hearts joined as one desperate for all You are. We chase Your heart. I adore these guitar tones and licks too.
- Devotion – And BAM we have another home run! This is my Fire Fall Down. This song arcs like no other! Its a beautiful thing to listen to this song go through the motions it takes! Especially joined with the Selah immediately following. What the drums do in this song makes all the difference in the world to breath new life into it!
- Draw me closer [Selah] – It’s these lil Selah moments that help keep the studio sound feeling ‘live.’ This totally keeps the ‘spirit’ moving especially after a song like Devotion.
- Lead me to the cross – Who the crap is this woman! I love her! Its the Australian Christy Nockels 🙂 Thank goodness for a bridge that wasn’t predictable! Build me! Bring me down. Then build me up again!
- Found – I found this song on the Mighty to Save CD to be boring. I love it here!
- Hosanna – The video was linked out on the internet and I suppose this will be the first ‘single.’ It’s an incredible tune. Again who is that woman!! Love her. Bass drives this sucker into my head!
- For all who are to come [Selah] – I think another really cool moment on the CD that brings it to another level. Awesome vamp off Hosanna that ends with this Flickerstick vibe that transitions us into this wicked next tune!
- Solution -Here’s what fans of United We Stand are desperately looking for since we popped this CD in. We haven’t really been slapped in the face yet and this one delivers! Maybe a bit too far back in the CD but it’s a wait worth it.
- My future decided – I think they stole a Killers b-side track to start this tune off 🙂 Its awesome! Its really weird and I totally dig it! Then we pick up with this fun yelling back and forth hands pumping bridge!
- Never let me go – I’ve never looked at the lyrics of the United tunes so intently before, this CD is chock full of lyrics (good or bad depending on your congregation) this is another one I really like. A nice quaint song that stays pretty mellow and rolling. I love what they do with the solo here even though the song is nice and small, its rich with distortion or overdrive or just naughtiness! It’s great.
- You – Honestly, I haven’t been able to get into this one yet. I keep hitting next.
- Savior King – I keep forgetting this one is here. When it pops up on random I totally rock it out! Its just that I have a hard time getting to all the way out to #14!! This is really the anthem of the CD I suppose. We’re hitting 12 minutes on this one and it really captures the live feel multi vocals on this one!
Probably too much info but there it is. GET IT! Go now. Probably even on sale as a new release! Here’s another thumb’s up to convince you 🙂