28 years ago today I broke the silence for the first time. I was a healthy 10 pound 11 ounces baby that probably had my Mom thinking twice about having another child! Hahaha. I don’t remember any of it. I can imagine it slightly having the birth of my daughter seemingly fresh in my mind. It was probably way crazier and messier nearly 3 decades ago. Sweet Jesus, 3 decades.
Age is a funny thing. I moan begrudgingly as I see 30 right around the corner. Everyone older than me sighs and tells me how much of a kid I still am. Everyone younger than me sighs and tells me how old I’m getting. Its really, really, weird. Time has begun to look really crazy lately.
- I’ve been in a relationship with my wife for 10 years. A whole decade! That’s nuts.
- I’ve been playing music for nearly 10 years.
- I’ve played music in a live setting now for 8 years.
- I’ve spent 5 years in college.
- Now 5 years out of college.
- I’ve ‘owned’ a home now for nearly 4 years.
- I have 3 years of ‘professional, real world’ job experience.
- A little less than 2 years ministerial job experience.
- I’ve had a dog for not quite 2 years.
- I have a daughter who’s 19 months old.
Its funny actually. Looking at that list, I just categorized everything within the time frame of dating my wife to the birth of my child. That was 1 decade. I had nearly 2 before it. 2 decades of my Mom and Dad teaching, caring for, encouraging, disciplining, correcting, humoring, and pushing me the best way they saw fit. 2 decades of pouring into me the best way they saw fit. And I love them for it dearly. I am very proud of who I am today and how hard I’ve worked to get to where I am and I think that’s a gracious blessing that I’ve received.
Wow, this post took me like 40 minutes to write and took a wild twist of thought. Happy birthday me!