I thought it’d be great to take a look back at the inspiration women of radio have given me through the years. My iPod’s playlist is filling up with things like Paramore, Imogen Heap, Kristie Nockels, Flyleaf, and…dare I say it…but every time I hear Big Girls Don’t Cry, I actually don’t change the station. I’ve resisted and not even entertained a woman who’s name sounds like a character from Fraggle Rock but there’s actually a voice behind that hoochie momma!
So, in order of earliest memories of influence:
5. Stevie Nicks – ah she may be a black magic woman to some and a gypsy to others but I remember the vinyl records of Fleetwood Mac that my parents use to crank while I was growing up. I adore Stevie Nicks!
4. Toni Braxton – it was listening to Casey Kasum’s Counting Down The Hits on the weekend that I would spend all afternoon making mix tapes in the den when like early to mid 90s she hit me with Just Another Sad Love Song and Breathe Again. That year she was wrecking my brain like crazy!
3. Bonnie Rait – another lady to thank my parents for introducing me to. I mean she just stops me dead in my tracks. She had that ridiculous video with Dennis Quaid that made her all the more endearing.
2. Sheryl Crow – it’s funny because I still see Sheryl Crow as the girl bouncing around in the All I Wanna Do video! I must have worn out Tuesday Night Music Club! I mean and she’s still killing it today! I can even look past that Kid Rock stage as seeking to broaden your horizons and get some creative collaborative juices flowing. I caught a show she had on TV a while back and was mesmerized all over again.
1. Sarah McLachlan – do I need to say anything here? I mean she’s captivating. It’s the voice of sunsets, proposals, new life, puppies! HAHAHA. Seriously, this is probably the voice I hear on the radio that causes me to just pull the car over and close my eyes and just smile knowing there is a God because this is divine. Even her oldest singles and albums don’t get old or tired. A golden nugget I found was this duet of her and Cyndi Lauper doing Time After Time…ahhh…yummy.
Sure I’ve probably left some out. Don’t blast me. Share your favorites.