Minutes…hours…after Kanye West showed how much of a ass he is on MTV VMAs (sorry G rated audiences that’s probably the nicest way to describe that jerk) this pops up on youTube! Hilarious. Stunning. Speedy.
Archive Page 2
45. Who Did You Think I Was – John Mayer – Where the Light is Live in LA
46. Bold As Love – John Mayer – Where the Light is Live in LA
47. Party in the USA – Miley Cyrus
Have we failed as parents? HAHA.
Check them out for an update to your Twitter avatar and find them on facebook!
Thanks Chris you’re one of a kind dude and I’m so glad I follow you 🙂 Fortunately, I haven’t gotten dressed for the day!
Jud Wilhite brought it and I’m out to get home and back for practice tonight! Here’s the last bit I have:
Larry Osborne/North Coast Church = Future of the church
Good stuff! Get this!
Matt/Austin Stone =
Is there something wrong or missing from the American church culture that’s keeping us from actually seeing victory over sin
Christians struggle with sin: Romans 7
Scott Williams/Lifechurch/Big is the new Small = Church diversity sucks but it doesn’t have to
Jim/Flat Irons Community Church =
You have to allow people to belong before they can believe
Not my job to save, fix, or change people. I’m not your Holy Spirit
Neal Cole/Organic Church =
Phil 2: Do nothing from selfish or empty conceit….
God is looking for servants who will lead. Make a name for others
Stunning story of his father-in-law
Reggie Joiner/Orange = Neamiah
Rebuilding the wall for a generation he knew would need a faith in God
1/2 way through the attack with the threat of attack he leaned into the people and reminded them of what was at stake! Leaned into the families – fight for your family, songs, daughters!
60-80% of teenagers are dropping out of faith/church
1. Those on the outside would change their opinion of who God is
2. Those on the inside would begin to change their opinion of who God is and pay attention like never before
3. Celebration of God’s work from those seeing who God is
Bill Easum/ = Legacy
Legacy is who you leave behind not what
2 metaphors likes: Spiritual Midwife and Scout
What do I need to stop doing!
Develop your “to be” list – a list of ppl who could be leaders in the future!
JD Greer/Summit Church =
Center of our ministry out to be the proclamation of Jesus
Act 1 – primary task is to be a witness to me
Gospel is not even an exclusive religious word
Do NOT confuse the effects of the gospel with the actual gospel!
Love is the most powerful apologetic for the Gospel
Geoff Surrat/Seacost Church – Keep your faith strong
How do you go from being on staff to being a disconnected follower of Christ?
1. Take care of your family – Ministry free zones
2. Go to church – don’t work in church without stopping to worship in church. With your family, sitting down worshipping together
3. Be in a small group – not your title but yourself
4. Prioritize your personal worship –
5. Growing your faith – not preparation for your message/retreat/etc.
6. Give generously – generous giving defeats selfishness
7. Serve on a mission – something that helps another mission.
8. Volunteer – Outside of your ministry
9. Forgive – when we work with other people we’re going to get hurt and need to forgive. Every church has an imperfect staff
10. Believe the best – about your other staff personnel
Lady from Crosspoint Church =
Rich Nathan/Vineyard Church =
Marketing loves to play the either/or card but we find in the Bible the both/and principle.
Never has there been divorce like there is with evangelism and social justice
We had to address poverty and abortion in our community so joined with 300 women at risk for abortion
Sam from India =
Dan Kimball/Santa Cruz Vintage Church =
In the church tradition should never get in the way of mission or it is a sin.
Chip/Pinelake Church Mississippi = Take care of yourself
You’re the only one who can take care of you
Your well being is your responsibility
Jud Wilhite/Central Christian Church =
Managing the small details in life! Most ppl think an iceberg that sank the Titanic when in fact it was faulty rivets! Substandard details. The parallel for us on the surface things are well but underneath we must manage the details.
The Assassin Character Creep.
1. Plan for the assassin – be ready. Travel, money, counseling with the opposite sex.
Hands off the money, pants up, and stay out of the hot tub! Sometimes there is success by default – the last person standing.
A long obedience in the same direction
2. Operate by the media mode of operation – never do anything today that you’d be uncomfortable seeing on the front page of the newspaper tomorrow!
First off: MICROSOFT WORD I BITE MY THUMB AT THEE! Evernote and Pages are my new BFFs.
As you can tell, I had lunch and some breaks b/c my mind is numbing. That doesn’t mean some wicked awesome truth wasn’t dropped!
Greg Surat/Seacoast Church –
Innovation grows out of desperation
Big ideas grow out of big failures
1. You hit the wall. Something is not working
2. You get discouraged. You see it as failure
3. Trust God. Never been a day when God said “I didn’t see that one coming.”
4. You start by asking the barrier breaking question. If nothing were impossible what could we accomplish here?
5. You collect innovative ideas. Pray- Brainstorm- then filter. Use matrix: easy/hard and big win/small win
6. You do it until it quits working. Make good repeatable.
Rick Rusaw –
Change in the landscape of the church in America
Shift in the question – from how can we be the best church in the community to FOR the community.
That guy –
Allowing your public persona to match your personal life
Bil/Bay Area Fellowship/ GO BIG – Mentoring
1. Read books from people who have done what you want to do – diff in learning from someone who has experience not opinion!
2. Go to the right conferences – the popular one may not be the best one
4. Take leaders to lunch. Go where they are. Do what they tell you to do before you go see them again.
5. Pray for your mentors. Look for ways to bless them
Pete Wilson/Crosspoint =
Crisis of transformation – ppl are going to church but they aren’t becoming more Christlike
Looking at comparative studies b/w Christians and non-Christians there aren’t many differences in their areas of live
We’ve based it on attendance and knowledge instead of loving other people and…
Vision – help ppl understand what God has for them but we are pulled in 2 diff directions (use rubberband illustration)
Intention – help them learn to own their own spiritual life
Method – rhythm to Jesus’ life. Patterns of prayer, pulling away from ways of the world and community. John 15: Abide in me.
Noel just KILLED with a message on church leadership. Here’s what the 2nd 90 mins have brought:
Steve Robinson/Church of the King =
Worry is temporary atheism.
Stacy Spencer/New Directions Christian = Service
Not giving up on people when they fall.
You ought not look down on somebody unless you’re looking down to help them up
1. Make pitstops. Help out leaders/friends who have fallen
2. Do for folks that you’d have them do for you
3. Use your resources to help people stuck in unfavorable circumstances
Scott Wilson/Oaks Fellowship = Growing
You can either grow or you gotta go!
We must be moving from:
3 year model for leadership:
Yr. 1 – Model it! For our church the leadership. Grow your leadership capacity! 35 books this year you don’t grow you gotta go
Yr. 2 – Mentor it! Read 20 books and mentor your key volunteers with 12 books!
Yr. 3 – Multiply it! Help those begin mentoring
Amy Hanson/Amyhanson.net = The growing baby boomers involvement
Dino Rizzo/HPC =
1. Know Christ
2. Know the people you serve
3. Know your partnerships in your community
4. Know the poor
Small acts of kindness go along way!
3 Principles from history of Finland
Know your content
Jorge Acevedo/Recovery Conference 2010 =
Nancy Beach/Willow Creek =
Often gets conversations about leaders growing closer to their senior leader they see less of Jesus.
As ppl get closer to me do they discover more of Christ?
Isolation leads to denial.
1. Spiritual practices – what practices do I need to intentionally engage
2. Safe relationships – confession and counseling are good things!
3. Stretching experiences – expose yourself to an experience that will stretch you
“Above all else!” Guard your heart!
Steven Furtik/Elevation Church – Hard times
Dreams vs. Reality – a message about an audacious life
1 Kings 17
Isn’t such a thing as part time ministry – it’s all full time ministry
Specifically vs. 7. God’s sent Elijah and cares for him via a brook and the birds but then the brook dries up!
WHY? Punishment? No.
Elijah prophesied about the drought b/c of Ahab and there’s a drought! He’s living in what he prophesied about! Exactly what God said would happen.
After the brook dried up God sent him on. To Zeraphat the on to Mt. Carmel
When God allows a brook to dry up it’s b/c there’s another dimension of his glory, honor, and power he’s preparing you for
Noel/Riverview Church– Elders
Well informed and well intentioned churches are taking away the health of the church
That tiny hole is a team of qualified elders leading the church together
Pastors are one of the things elders do but not the whole thing
Only place there was a single leader was with Israel’s kings that was because of their hardness of heart where they have rejected the Lord.
YEARS searching for a Sr. Pastor and then spend WEEKS picking elders to lead that man.
Craig Groeschel/Lifechurch = Innovative church design
1. Had to create deeper climate and culture of innovation. Value driven and allow culture evolve! Be spiritual innovators!
2. Weakness in utilizing giftedness of volunteers
Delegating tasks creates followers. Delegating authority and create leaders! Don’t recruit volunteers but release and empower leaders
3. Doing ministry out of the overflow of Holy Spirit – comes down to Spiritual Disciplines!
Again mentioning journaling!
Greatest sculpture Michaelangelo’s David released Sept. 8, 1504
1. David before war
2. Big head b/c ppl’s perspective was below this 17′ statue!
So how do you deal with a big head in ministry?
Jesus always comes in surround sound. If you’re not getting surround sound then you’re not getting Jesus. Confidence AND humility!
Coupling OMG with But God
I can do ALL THINGS but through the power of God
So far we’ve heard some intense leaders and incredible words! Here’s what I’ve got so far:
Troy Grambling/Flamingo Rd Church = pride
1. Forgetting the gift is bigger than the person
2. When you grow impatient with people
3. When we are unwilling to hear the truth
4. Symbols of Power became important
Mark/Granger Community = Why people join or leave your ministry
2. Your mission or your vision
3. Your teammates
Brian/Concord Church = Church leadership
Dave Ferguson/Community Christian Church = Apprenticeship
5 Steps for Apprenticeship:
1. I do you watch
2. I do you help
3. You do I help
4. You do I watch
5. You do & someone else watches
Do not underestimate that something simple but profound can revolutionize your ministry.
2 Tim. 2:2
Something small that allows something big to happen
Anne Jackson/Flowerdust = Christ’s community
Apart from me you can do nothing.
Is working at a church interfering with your community with Christ?
Scott Hodge = God’s priority
Pray that I hear God’s voice every day and pray that I have the courage to obey.
1. Rescheduling your day to provide time to hear him
2. Begin in the small things
Am I hearing from God? Am I giving? My best parts of the day to God?
Am I willing to obey God whatever it takes or more about what ppl think of me?
Perry Noble = Movement
A movement of God cannot be planned but must be prepared for
Leadership is as easy as listening to God
Listen to the voice of God: it’s Your church what would you have me do?
Skye/Leadership Journal = Identity
Things keeping us from hearing God
Maybe outcomes are not accurate portrayal of my legitimacy in ministry.
Jesus said his bread that sustained his life was to do the will of the Father. Jesus identity was rooted that he was the beloved of the Father.
The outcomes of ministry do not belong to us! They belong to the Father. We are are to dwell with him.
1. Legitimacy does not come from the outcome of your ministry
2. Stop judging (for me and others) legitimacy on outcomes!
3. ID in Jesus we’ll find the power and strength to defy a culture around us.