Updated July 27th, 2007. You guys seem to enjoy checking this out so I figure it better be correct! I wasn’t anticipating updating it so soon but my wife and friends ROCK!
It’s always interesting to see what musicians are playing. Here’s what I use:
- Acoustic Guitar: LBenito Grand Auditorium – Alerce top, Rosewood back and sides
- Electric Guitar: ’07 Gretsch Hollowbody – Tobacco Sunburst with Bigsby tail piece! More info and pics coming soon!
- Strings: Currently on the Benito I’m using Ernie Ball Earthwoods. I had to ditch Elixers. They’re no good to me. On the Gretsch I’ve been using D’Addarios.
- Direct Box: Avalon U5
- Vocal Mic: Shure SM58s
- Oh and I LOVE those vintage Fender instrument cables!
When I have the extreme pleasure of playing electric I’m able to use Jim’s incredible:
- Guitar: ’89 Fender Strat Plus
- Modded Pickups: EMG SA-DG active pickups and roller nut upgrade/mod to stock
- Amp: Fender Blues Jr. Relic
- Effects chain: Wah – Barber – TubeScreamer – Boss DD20 Delay – Ibanez Chorus/Phaser – Boss Tremolo – amp
However, with some new settings on the amp I honestly haven’t been using the distortion pedals. I’ve been cranking the Gain and monitoring the Master Volume and using the amp’s own tube distortion. It’s truly a great thing!
- Toys: Purple energy stobing light bulb purchased from the Discovery Channel store right before they closed down 🙂
Here’s gear/vendors that I recommend:
- The Perfect Bass – For the best servic and seletion of boutique bass guitars and amps! You MUST check these guys out!
- Fig Tree Music – An amazing guitar boutique in Lafayette, LA with a great selection and attitude of workmanship.
- Stulce Amps – Class A, low watt amazing amps!
I’d love for you to continue the conversation! What is it that you’re playing? Who do you go to for help or purchases? I don’t want shameless plugs here but quality and trustworthy businesses are sometimes hard to find.